June/July – week 3&4
Wednesday, 1st of July:
Good morning, everyone in group B – today is lovely so get work done quickly!
Please go to page 82 in your books and look at task 2.
In sentence one there is no comma – the relative clause is necessary and you can use a participle instead:
Few Mexicans have the standard of living enjoyed by the average American.
The other two sentences have commas – the relative clause is additional (non-defining).
Find out what is different between sentence 2 and 3.
- Now do exercise 4 (written form).
- Check the grammar rules at the back of your book (p.124f.)
- Revise vocabulary unit 5!
Monday, 29th of June:
Good morning, everyone in group B – rise and shine!
Part one of today’s task:
Listen to the audio going with the text (p.81) once more.
After listening, check the new vocab and learn it!!! Remember the following rules for vocab learning:
- First step: write each new word at least once!
- Read new words aloud! (if you are not sure about pronunciation – check here: https://www.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/
- Be true to yourself and keep revising words you do not know!
- Keep going – verbs, nouns and adjectives are highly relevant for a suitable range of vocab. Focus on one group and make lists!
- Today you can revise your knowledge by doing the online-matching exercises below!
Second part of todays task:
Look at this page and find out from the graph and the text (scan it):
- about diversity of Californian population
- why it is hard to know exact numbers about population make-up
- how much population has grown over the last century
- the exact percentage of different ethnis groups
Complete these sentences:
- Over the last 48 years the percentage of the white population in California has dropped from…
- In 2018 the percentage of Asian/ Pacific Islander population was 5 times…
- The Latino population is the …
Make 5 more sentences – you can use information from the graphs or from the text, but do not just copy the text!
That is it for today! Take care and see you here tomorrow!
May 20th 2020
Today I want you to work here on the homepage!
First of all watch this video-clip about Philipp from New York and answer the questions in written form.
- Explain about Philipp’s passion and what he does to keep it up during lockdown.
- Describe the things that worry Philipp.
- Make a list of things he does at home, of things he is annoyed about and of what he hopes for.
Now – test your vocab knowledge in these exercises. If you are true to yourself you must note down the words that you got wrong and revise them. Vocab work can be hard work – but it is worth it in the end because your English becomes so much better!!!
Now check on these words and practice pronunciation:
And finally try if you know these verbs!
Task 1 March 17th 2020
- Today you work a little on vocab and start preparing for a mediation
- Try to sit down to do the tasks for about 45 minutes
English book p.55, word power exercise 2. Please do all the parts of the exercise in written form.
Now go to page 53 and read „A letter to the editor“ (exercise 3a). Do all three steps – step 2 and 3 have to be in written form.
Help: Remember gerunds! You can go to grammar pages 110-112 for backup.
Some fun – Listen to this https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p085hb07
Please return to this page on Wednesday and on Friday.
Task 2 March 18th 2020
- Today you find out more about the early years of the US
- First watch the video on Youtube (Link)
- Now go to pages 56/57 in your books
- After reading the short information under 1: Take notes on your knowledge answering the questions in brackets.
- Read the text under 2 (Freedom) and then answer question 2b)
- Read the text under 3 (The first Americans) and do task 3c) – notes/ catch words.
Return back here on Friday. Keep smiling!
Task 3 March 20th 2020
Today I want you to sit down and write an argumentative text which you then submit here on this page.
- … has an introduction, a main body, a conclusion
- … talks about a year abroad (during schooltime)
- … decides for one of either side: pro or con
- … uses ideas we have collected for discussion
- … uses vocabulary we have collected for oral exam
- … uses connectors and adverbial phrases
- … chooses 3 arguments and explains understandably
- … is about 200 words long
- … is prepared, written and submitted within 45 minutes today – you choose when
- … is saved as a pdf.file
Task 4 March 24th 2020
Welcome back! I hope you are all fine!
I have received most argumentative texts and I will return the corrected version towards the end of the week.
For today: You find our more about American history.
Listen to the audio file and note down (exercise book):
- why people moved west
- how they travelled
- what problems they had
Now look at the historical map at the back of your book.
- Find out what happened between 1775 and 1889.
- Try to get an overview of all the information in the map.
- Now phrase 5 sentences (speak them!) about relevant dates.
- Write down the important dates in your exercise book.
- Go to page 59 in your books.
- Write down the headline „An American heroine“
- Make a list of the 8 terms in the blue box and leave space (2 or 3 lines) after each name.
- Now listen to this second audio file and take notes when you get information about these 8 names.
Finally: Copy and learn the words that go with focus 2 (p.149/150!)
Task 5 March 25th 2020
Good morning guys!
We start with an easy exercise to revise the new vocabulary!
Second task in your book – probably less fun (sorry!):
Go to page 59 in your books and write the text as in task 6a) into your exercise book – do not forget to add the sentences on the right!
Write down in catchwords how Native Americans were treated by the new Americans!
Talk to you Friday! Take care!
Task 6 – March 27th 2020
Today you do two things, deal with vocabulary and read two texts:
- Go to page 150 in your books and spend a few moments checking out the green box!
- Go through the new vocab (intro/ unit 4) and from the 15 words you must learn choose 5 that you want to memorize straight away. Write them down.
- Now go to page 60. Read the text
- Think about who wrote the text and when, from what point of view?
- Read the text on page 61 now.
- What is different? Is the information more reliable than the one in the first text?
- Finally, do task 1c)
You have 50 new words now!!! (focus/ intro unit 4). Please learn and revise them regularly until next Friday (3/4/2020)!
Next Task on Tuesday March 31st!
Task 7 – March 31st 2020
Today I want you to work orally. Please prepare a 2-minute statement on one topic you have worked on last week (Native American Indians).
- Think of what you want to say first.
- You can use your notes on task 1c) page 60.
- You can get inspired by the pictures as well.
- Try to make your statement and stop the time.
- When you think you can get it right, then record yourself. I want you then to upload your audio here later.
Important information/ schedule:
Record and upload your audio here today. Please remember to name your file clearly!
For tomorrow (April 1st 2020) I want to have a Zoom-meeting with you all!
To prepare for tomorrows Zoom-meeting at 9.45 a.m. please download the Zoom-App (if you haven’t got it yet).
You can find help on this page (Deutsch 8. Klasse Referate online!)
Link to Zoom meeting